Dar es Salaam is the largest city in Tanzania and its former capital. The locals fondly refer to Dar es
Salaam as Dar. Tourists come to Dar es Salaam and proceed toone of the many National Parks in the
country, such as Saadani, Ruaha, Serengeti or Selous, as well as Kilimanjaro and the Zanzibar
archipelago. Though it is considered a stopover city Dar es Salaam has a lot to offer for the
discerning traveller. Given below are 8 things a visitor can do in Dar:
1. A visit to the Askari Monument is the first thing that a tourist should do. The monument is a
dedication to the African soldiers who fought for the British in the First World War. The
soldier is depicted with a rifle pointing at the harbour. The Askari Monument is considered
to be in the exact centre of Dar es Salaam.
2. If you want to do some shopping in Dar es Salaam then you should head to the Kariakoo
market. Even if you do not want to shop you will learn a lot by just visiting the Kariakoo
market. You can see how the local Tanzanians shop. You can also marvel at the way the
locals bargain for deal. If you want to shop you can and you are allowed to bargain, so just
enjoy your time shopping.
3. The Dar es Salaam fish market is a place that you should visit especially in the morning
when the new catch arrives. You can watch how the fresh catch is auctioned. There are
many eateries around the fish market where you can get great seafood made from the
fresh catch of the day.
4. There is a church known as the Azania Lutheran Church constructed by German
missionaries which you should visit.
5. For all the museum lovers there is the National Museum in Dar es Salaam where you check
the various exhibits on show. The best part about this visit is you will be able to see the
fossils of early man which was excavated in the Olduvai Gorge. If you want to know more
about a country and its culture you should visit a museum in the country.
6. There is another museum known as the Village Museum which is unique and a must visit.
You can check the way the tribes of Tanzania live. All the huts and houses are created
traditionally. There is music also on display here and you will totally enjoy it.
7. Bongoyo Island is near Dar es Salaam. If you like to laze about in the sun and go and dip in
the turquoise waters of the ocean then a day trip to Bongoyo Island is recommended. It is
also a good place for snorkelling enthusiasts as there are many snorkelling spots nearby.
8. Coco beach is the beach in Dar es Salaam that most locals visit. It is usually crowded and on
weekends it is packed. If you like music then this is the place to go to because concerts are
held here frequently. If there are no concerts you may enjoy some live music if you are
lucky. There are many food stalls near the beach where you can enjoy local food. The
Nyama Choma is especially recommended.
Copyright 2017 As Salaam Air. All Rights Reserved.