Dar-es-Salaam City Tour Half Day Excursion
Sometimes we feel that we need to spend the entire day or two looking at everything a city or country has to offer. That’s often too, but sometimes a half day is enough to see and experience all the beautiful parts of a place. Take for example, Dar-es-Salaam. Tanzania’s biggest city is your gateway to the Indian Ocean and can offer you so many ways to spend time in pleasure and fun.
Here are some things you can do in the time you have:
1. The National Museum – five museums come together to create a space that’s truly one of its kind. The National Museum will tell you all you need to know about the life and times of the country of Tanzania. If you don’t have time to see entire place, do make sure that you don’t miss the ethnographic collections, and the findings from the Olduvai Gorge.
2. Pugu Hills Nature Reserve – a nature reserve just 25 kilometres from the city center, Pugu is famous for its bat colony. It also gives you many opportunities to hike along the trails in the Reserve and to watch and observe the numerous birds that make their home in Pugu.
3. Kivukoni Front – this bustling fish market is where all the action is! There’s a sense of energy and business that’s quite interesting to watch. Make use of the early morning and head on down here to take in an auction or two. There are eight zones split into two sections and you’re likely to see every kind of fish here.
4. Bongoyo Island – the beauty of this place is also due to the fact that there aren’t too many people heading here. Along with Kaole, Bongoyo is intimate and filled with peace and tranquillity. Spend some time looking at the ruins of a different time. In fact, along with Pangavini, Mbudya, Fungu Yasini, Bongoyo forms a marine reserve system that allows swimming and diving.
5. Tanzania Centre for Cultural Heritage – if you’re looking for some impressive souvenirs for people back home, then the Centre is the right place for you. Yes, the prices are higher than what you may get outside, but the quality is great and you don’t have to spend a whole lot of time trying to find something. Its location is ideal too- on the way to the airport which means you don’t have to take a detour to do this.
6. Mikumi National Park – the fourth biggest Park in the country, Mikumi is about four hours away from Dar. It may seem like a lot but it is easily accessible and should not be too much of a strain. Once here, you can find lions and leopards, buffalo and zebra, giraffes and elephants, crocodiles and pythons here.
7. Oyster Beach – also known as Coco Beach, you’ll find this beach on the Msasani Peninsula. This is the place to have fun, especially on the weekend. Food, music, concerts and parties are all part of the experience. Just don’t get into the water because swimming is not recommended. You can wade in the water, if you’d like. If you’re a party person, this is the place to be.