How to spend seven days in Zanzibar
It is now possible to take off for that dream holiday you’ve been planning for so long, that will make you gather unforgettable experiences in the Zanzibar archipelago off the East African coast.
Also known as the Spice Islands, these exotic islands feature white powdery beaches, beautiful coral reefs and extensive forests of palm fronds. Collectively, they make for a fantastic beach holiday. So if you’re planning a seven days itinerary, we are delighted to offer advice on our favourite destinations which we think will make for an unforgettable holiday:
1. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday: Arrival and tour of Stone Town, and a ‘Safari Blue’.
Arrival at the airport in Stone Town. Check in to your hotel and check out the hotel surroundings and close vicinity. After lunch takes a tour of Stone Town and visit places of interest such as:
• Palace Museum – it was the place where the royals lived but it now converted to a museum
• St. Joseph Cathedral – a very famous cathedral that has been around for a long time.
• Forodhani Food market – on the evening the place becomes a bustling food market. You get all type of seafood and you can also try the local delicacies here. Zanzibari pizza being the crowd favourite.
• Seafront Promenade – tour the seafront promenade and enjoy the views.
• Visit Darajani bazaar – the main bazaar in Stone Town, it is a great place to buy items to take back. You can bargain here and the better you bargain the better price you get.
• Take a full day Safari Blue trip. Either sharing, or your own private charter, your trip takes a day around the off-shore islands, snorkelling on coral reefs and white sand banks, seafood grill on white beaches, hidden passages all in a traditional dhow.
2. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: Dongwe Ocean View Hotel, Kichanga Lodge and The Rock Restaurant
You can plan for the next two days to visit the Michamvi area on the south east coast. Rugged, wild and close to nature. There are many activities that you can take part in while staying here such as kite surfing, exploring coral reefs or you can just relax on the white sand beaches.
3. Wednesday – Spice Tour and Jozani Forest
This is tour is an opportunity to visit the spice farms. These are planned destinations where the visitor gets an opportunity to see how spices are farmed, processed and packaged. In the morning the tour guide may opt to lead your group to two or three different farms. The spices will include cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, garlic, and many others. You will also be treated to a meal made using the spices.
In the afternoon you can visit Jozani Forest. This is a protected area, and the tour guide may choose to lead you through paths trodden by the Colobus Monkey and other wildlife found in the forest.
4. Saturday and Sunday: Nungwi and Kendwa
If you are keen on snorkelling and scuba diving, then Nungwi and Kendwa offer the perfect opportunities for both. You can also go on Safari Blue dhow cruises, kayaking, jet-skiing, parasailing, kiteboarding, and windsurfing.
The diving operation is offered at the Paradise beach hotel and Kendwa Rocks. If you’ve never dived before, then this is your chance to discover scuba diving. Nungwi and Kendwa were two of the first diving centers in Zanzibar and are known throughout East Africa as professional, dedicated and committed to promoting water sports.