Any time that you are traveling, you need to know how to be prepared and what is going to be in store. It is important to ensure that you know all the essential travel tips that ate going to help you enjoy your vacation and have a wonderful time when you are traveling. Here is what you should know.
The Three Main Airports
Depending on where you are flying in from, almost always the best place to arrive and the best mode of transport will be by air. There are three main airports you need to know about.
- Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam.
- Abeid Amani Karume International in Zanzibar.
- Kilimanjaro International Airport in Kilimanjaro.
Depending on where you are flying in from, there will be a perfect route for your trip.
What is the Best Time of Year to Visit Tanzania?
Other than the period of the ‘big rains from March – May, there is not bad time of year to visit Tanzania, it depends on what it is that you want to see when you should visit. Here is what happens in the country in the specified times.
June to October: This is the time of year to see the wildlife.
June to July: This is the time of year to take in the migration of the wildebeest.
January and February: This is the time of year to see all the calving of the animals.
Here are the important travel tips that you must keep in mind when planning a trip.
- Required Shots: When you are hearing to a new country, you always need to know what shots you should have in advance before you travel. Here are the ones that are always recommended before heading to Africa. You MUST consult your local travel clinic for the correct advice for YOU.
- Yellow Fever
- Hepatitis A
It is important to also think about having tetanus and rabies to ensure you are prepared. There are timelines outlined of three months prior to travel so that you will be comfortable, these can be done at a local doctor’s office and this will ensure that you are being safe and that you are not spreading anything either.
- Get a Local Sim Card: If you are exploring the wilderness or you are in a city, sometimes you are going to need the internet. You will be able to use things in other locations but there are somethings you are just going to need it for. There are many locations that you can get a sim card in a store in Tanzania and that will ensure that you can make calls from a phone or from the internet itself. There are many plans you can choose from depending on your needs.
- Use the Railroads: Many people in the country when traveling is always hiring a private driver. This can get to be very expensive and for this reason there are many other ways that you can travel. One of the best ways to do so is by train. It is much more affordable and will give you more room than if you are trying to stuff yourself in a packed car. You will have a cheaper option as well that will allow you to budget and use your money on something more affordable.
- Travel in a Group at Nighttime: When you are traveling, like all other big cities and locations with people there will be people trying to take your wallet. You will then lose your money and may lose other important documents like your passport. It is important to ensure that you are not traveling alone at night.
- Enjoy the Beaches: Tanzania is very well known for its wild life and National Parks. However, it has some of the most incredible beaches as well. These are places that you can lose yourself and reconnect with nature. Take advantage of all the country has to offer and make sure that you schedule some time in places like Pemba and Mafia which you can easily get to.
- Pack Light: While this seems very common sense it is important to heed this one with Tanzania. There are tons of things to do and to see and you need to ensure that if you are always on the go you have what you need but not much else. You are going to want to ensure that you have warm clothing as well as also some light clothing.
- Bring a Good Camera: One important thing to ensure is that you have a great camera. It does not have to be a super expensive camera, just one that will do the job. However, with all the wildlife and with all the nature, you are going to want to carry one that is going to help you to really take in the beauty of the area.
- Do Not Miss Mt. Kilimanjaro: This is one of those places that is at the top of the list of things to do and see for a reason. It is one of those locations that can be hard for some to climb, but is a super rewarding experience for those who want to take it in.
- Packing Essentials: There are some things that you must take with you when you are on your way.
- Your passport
- Cash always.
- Have a universal adapter
- Take clothes for a warm or cool environment
- Take mosquito spray
- Tipping in Tanzania: What You Should Know. People will ask you for tips in Tanzania for almost anything. That will be for drivers and for more than servers as well. When you are in a restaurant the common tip is 10-12% and that will ensure that you are able to maintain your budget and take care of your host.