Weekend getaways in Dar es salaam
Dar es salaam is a bustling city in the heart of Tanzania and is the largest city in the region. The city is home to many different people as well as many different cultures. The city is known for being brimming with activity and life and there are tons of things to do as a tourist in the region. If it is your first trip to the city, here are some fun activities that will allow you to see the best the city has to offer.
1. Visit the Cathedral of St. Joseph’s: This is the home to the archbishop. In addition to that it is an incredible cathedral with a lovely gothic Romanesque appearance. There are also amazing performances from the choir here. This church is known as well for its incredible prayer garden. Services in English are there at 8:30am and 11am on Sundays.
2. Check Out Mbudya Island: if you want a close escape from the city. You can head to Mbudya to enjoy the beauty of the beach as well as the sparkling waters and the fresh seafood that you can find in the local restaurants. You can catch a boat from almost any point in the harbor. If you are not sure what to do, you can go ahead and schedule a ride with a local boatman or you can head to the area around the White Sands Hotel, or the Slipway. If you are into snorkeling, you can find it on the islands as well as your own cabana. If you want you can also bring your own supplies. The trip is very affordable at around 20.00 USD per couple.
3. Take Your Hunger to Kivukoni Fish Market: If you want to really feel like a local, head to the fish market. This is an experience that is very Tanzanian. Plan to come early if you want to witness the process as people are normally there about 6:30am local time to auction their wares. Hopefully you like the smell of seafood as well if you want to be a part of this experience.
4. Relax on Coco Beach: This beach also known as Oyster Bat and is right on the Msasani Peninsula. This is a location that always is full of bustling tourists and get street fare. You may wander as well upon an impromptu concert live. There is a rise in nightlife recently as well so if you like karaoke you are in luck as you can find it almost in every area along the way.
5. Head to the Mwenge Woodcarvers Market: If you are wanting to have an authentic experience that is going to guarantee you feel like a local, you must see the Woodcarvers Market. Here there are a ton of open aired booths selling everything made of wood. You can find sculptures as well as all kinds of amazing art. You can even check out the local artists working right there in some of the booths.
6. Your Day Trip to Bongoyo Island: When it comes to checking out all the things to do near the city one of the best is to plan a day trip to Bongoyo Island. This is a marine reserve and a great place to head if you want to swim. You can catch a boat to the island from Slipway Center. There is a fee for the day which is affordable at around 20.00 per person USD. The boat will drop you off and pick you up at an agreed upon time. The only challenge is that you cannot get on the boat until you have at least 4 people or more. If there are not enough people for the journey it is necessary to wait until the next boat. This is a point to note. Once you are on the boat it will head out from the Slipway shopping center. One suggestion is to ensure you have a plastic bag in which to put all of your items that cannot get wet.
When you head to the island, you will love the fact that there is nothing to really do but relax and head to the beach. There are woods to walk through as well as places to catch some shade. It will be hot, so make sure that you stay hydrated. You can rent a Shade banda which is a hut, for around 5,000 TZS if you plan to stay for a few hours. Someone will come to you and also take your lunch order when you arrive. It is a great way to kick back and enjoy the beauty not far from the city.
Heading Away from the City for the Weekend: What Are My Options?
The hustle and the bustle of the city can get really exhausting when you are in the middle of it. If you have been stuck there check out a few fun things to do outside of the city.
An area that has called travelers for years, this is a must see for anyone with a sense of adventure. Zanzibar has a lovely capital called Stone Town which is known for its impressive architecture as well as its busy markets. There are many remnants left over from the involvement of the area in the slave trade.
When you want to head to the beach, you want to check out the beauty of Nungwi and Kendwa which are on the northern coast of the island. There are incredible places to enjoy the beauty and water of the Mnemba Atoll. A great place to check out the sunset as well is on the porch of the Africa House Hotel which is a great place for a cocktail and view. If you are looking for a one of a kind experiences, check out the Kendwa Rocks Full Moon Party for dancing as well as drumming.
Your Safari Awaits at the Selous Game Reserve: Every safari goal and experience are different. The Selous Game Reserve is the largest in Africa. It has a huge conservation area as well of over 50.000 km and it is packed with all kinds of attractions for the audience. When you are in Tanzania you must make the time to check out the park because it is incredibly beautiful. It was declared a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1982.
There are hot volcanic springs and lakes that wind their way through the land. There are huge herds of elephants as well that await your photography. There are many boat trips as well that are available for you through the park. A walking safari is something that you can do that is very restful and also beautiful.